Sunday, January 18, 2009

25 songs I kind of like: a list I made months ago and probably no longer agree with.

Several months ago, a friend (Linton) challenged me to make a list of my 25 favorite songs. Note: that's FAVORITE, not BEST. Songs on this list do not always represent the best of that artist's work.

Here's the list I came up with.

1) Norwegian Wood (the beatles)
2) Desolation Row (Bob Dylan)
3) 6 suites for cello - prelude (JS Bach, performed by Yo Yo Ma)
4) Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
5) Summertime Blues (The Who)
6) Love in Vein (The Rolling Stones)
7) 20th Century Fox (The Doors)
8) Short Skirt, Long Jacket (Cake)
9) 'Round Midnight (Miles Davis)
10) center of attention (guster)
11) Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin)
12) Sleeping in (the postal service)
13) Comes Love (Billie Holiday)
14) Mannish Boy (Muddy Waters)
15) Cowgirl in the Sand (Neil Young)
16) The Fitted Shirt (Spoon)
17) Tokyo Storm Warning (Elvis Costello)
18) Traveling Riverside Blues (Robert Johnson)
19) I'm not like everybody else (The Kinks)
20) Purple Haze (Kronos Quartet)
21) Why do you let me stay here (She and Him)*
22) When I Paint my Masterpiece (The Band)*
23) Hitchin' a Ride (Green Day)
24) Appalacia Waltz [entire album] (Yo Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer)
25) I Just Wasn't Made for these Times (The Beach Boys)

Now let's be perfectly honest here. This list is crap. Sure, my top 7 are solid, but after that I was basically just trying to fill spaces. Do I honestly think "Why do you let me stay here" is better than "When I paint my masterpiece?" No. I wouldn't even say I like "why do you let me stay here" better than "When I paint my masterpiece." Let's fix that right now.

*Amended list:
21) When I Paint my Masterpiece (The Band)
22) Why do you let me stay here (She and Him)

Okay... and while I'm at it, let's move "I just wasn't made for these times" up a few spaces. Hmm... better. Now add "A Day in the Life" (The Beatles), "Tangled up in Blue" (Dylan), and "19th Nervous Breakdown" (Rolling Stones). Getting closer. Oh, and I'll also need the Hendrix cover of "All Along the Watchtower," Dvorak's Cello Concerto, The Who's "My Generation," "Something" by The Beatles... and the following albums: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Highway 61 Revisited, Exile on Main St, and The Who: Live at Leeds.

Also... have you heard Fleet Foxes? They're really good.

sigh. I'm not very good at this.


Next up: The Movie Game. I'll probably get around to doing that sometime in July.

4 comments:

L Fritz said...

You know what? You should create a cd mix of these songs. Title it something mildly amusing, and then give it to me for my entertainment.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Anonymous said...

dear matt. will you marry me?

i havent met anyone who knows who guster is since highschool. youre #3 is my favorite song ever and everything else is pretty much in my top 100 list.

-decker- said...

1) yes, lindsey, that is a good idea. maybe I will create a cd mix for you. maybe I will.

2) Laura. fiiiine... we can get married. it's always been my dream to have someone propose via blog comment (hereafter referred to as "blogment").

Anonymous said...

I am nothing if not a classy, classy lady,