Thursday, June 18, 2009

An Amerikajin in Toyotashi, Part San

Day 3,4

Apparently dining in Japan is a lot like being a contestant on "Fear Factor." I've eaten sparrow. I've eaten what may or may not have been living squid. I've eaten Yuba with sea urchin sauce and salmon roe (ovaries). Delicious, all of them.

I would be the worst "fear factor" contestant ever.

Cars in Japan are quite different. They have two categories: one for normal cars, one for really tiny "kei" cars. The Kei cars are small, powered by engines of less than 1 Litre displacement, and don't even come close to meeting any safety standards. I want one.

Working with a considerable language barrier is somewhat difficult; my new favorite word is "wakarimasen" (I don't understand). I have a Japanese phrase book... Unfortunately, there are surprisingly few phrases related to making bumpers in that book.

Day, um... I'm finishing this a good 3 weeks since returning from Japan... Overall, the trip was good... minus the being stuck in detroit for 8 hours. I hate you, Delta.

Didn't find a Jinglish t-shirt for Leigh... guess that means I'll have to go back.

Oh... important lesson learned: Never drink with Australians--in ANY country.

No comments: